These words are republished a website of a close friend of Payne’s Hut and regular visitor – Samantha Bell.
“Amazing places to visit enroute from Melbourne to Falls Creek or Mt Hotham or for a long weekend around Bright, Victoria:
- Plunkett Fowles (on Hume Hwy 1 hour and a bit out of melbourne)
- Sam Miranda Winery, Oxley (GREAT courtyard on a warm day for the kids to run around – also nice for a tasting on a cold day with fire going inside. I really enjoy working from here on a weekday. So relaxing and often no-one there.)
- King River Cafe, Oxley (potato rosti chips are amazing, good coffee.)
- Milawa Cheese Factory, Milawa (great place for lunch)
- Snow Road Produce, Milawa (great wine selection and lovely people).
- Milawa – the main road has olive and mustard shops too.
- Amazing Cafe Fez in Myrtleford is like stepping into a Middle Eastern Bazaar – extraordinary to be where it is and have so many items for sale as well as a cute cafe – it is next to the park too for the kids – lovely for a coffee and browse.
- Bright: my favourite is Coral Lee, there’s also Ginger Baker and the Bright Brewery and a few other wine bars and restaurants that have popped up recently.
- Take a drive up Mt Hotham to Danny’s Lookout on a clear day. The lookout is just before Mt Hotham so a 45 min drive from Bright and you can see for miles and miles….
- Keep going to Payne’s Hut – I guarantee you’ll be pleased you did.
All the addresses and details of these places are on my “To the Mountains and Beyond” Foursquare list.
Tips on accommodation:
- Top of the list Payne’s Hut.
- Bright – Merrimeet Cottages is great for families. The website photos don’t do it justice – next to a park for the kids, the gardens are lovely for reading books and enjoying and there is a BBQ in the grounds. Apparently the photos on the site don’t do it justice and the people who run it are lovely:.
- The house at Smoko looks divine. Often booked out – get in early.
- Wombat Hollow in Smoko for families too – this will mean commuting to Bright. (Stay in Bright if you’re thinking of walking to and fro dinner.
- Emma runs Alpine Valley Getaways – she’ll be able to help with other places.
- And Bright Holidays is great too. This lovely house (with a spa) is recommended.”
Photos to tempt you: